Total Pageviews

Monday, May 27, 2013

2013 Rolling Thunder Part IV of IV-- USMC Staff Sergeant Tim Chambers, "The Saluting Marine"


Since spontaneously standing at attention and saluting bikes during the 2002 Rolling Thunder rally, USMC Staff Sergeant  (now retired) Tim Chambers has returned each year to pay tribute to the hundreds of thousands of  bikers who are, in turn, paying tribute to the nations fallen soldiers. 

Before the arrival of the bikes, civilians would approach Sgt. Chambers to thank him for his service or pass a few words of encouragement for what he does each year. 
Waiting for the bikes. 

An old vet thanks Sgt. Chambers.

Once, during an interview, when asked "Why the salute?" He replied "It's about the pain. A lot of these heroic guys still hurt and if I can relieve their pain for just one brief moment, then I've done my job."


Many bikers returned the salute.  I have each year I've ridden and each time it gives me chills.

I didn't realize the significance of this and the next two photos until later.  In this one, the father, a Vet himself, returns Sgt. Chambers salute...
As he lowers his salute, something great happens, his young son on the back of the bike, begins his own salute.
In completing his salute, he is honoring not only Sgt. Chambers, but his father and all who have served in one action!




As Sgt. Chambers held his salute to the passing bikes, a small group approached from his right.  They raised their hands and returned his salute.....
Then as they stood at attention, saluting an American Hero, a bugle player began a haunting rendition of Taps....
More on Staff Sgt. Tim Chambers, "The Saluting Marine" can be found here: http://www.thesalutingmarine.com/




3 comments:

  1. THNXX 4 SHARING AMAZING PHOTO'S!!
    NEVER ENOUGH THNXX & HONOR GIVEN!!
    SALUTE {{ALL MILITARY & VETS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. outstanding photos Sir. My name is Tim Chambers I would love to include you and a few of your photos in my book about my salute and what it means to people and why I did it. timchambers@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete